Have a dog that can shred through any toy? While it can be frustrating to see a new purchase get torn up in a matter of hours, don’t fret! There are virtually indestructible dog toys that can hold up to the strongest of bites.
While Kevlar itself cannot be used due to the danger of it being ingested, we’ve chosen the 5 best dog toys that are “kevlar-like”. These options can all withstand strong tugging and biting force, making them ideal for dogs that can chew through anything. All of our recommendations are safe for your dog, and provide the closest experience to kevlar available in a toy. Here’s our list:
Our Picks for the Best Kevlar-Like Dog Toys
1. Pet Qwerks Dinosaur BarkBone Chew Toy
Editor’s Review: Best Cheap Indestructible Dog Toy
The Dinosaur BarkBone is a nylon-based bone chew toy that’s made to withstand the strongest of chewers. The toy is made in the USA from certified non-toxic materials, and mimics the feel and smell of a real bone. Better yet, it’s an affordable option for dog toys considering the quality. Owners of pit bulls, mastiffs, labs, german shepherds, and others have said this toy can withstand a beating.
- Made in the USA
- Available in four sizes
- Suitable for dogs from 20 pounds to 120 pounds
- Made with durable nylon and real bacon/steak for a natural fiber taste
- Certified non-toxic, hypoallergenic, and FDA approved
- Affordable given the materials
- Owners have noted that the toy can fray in certain places. The manufacturer notes that this is normal and perfectly safe. Some consider this to be a hazard, while others find it a non-issue.
2. Monster K9 Ultra-Durable Chew Toy
Editor’s Review: Best Aggressive Chewer Dog Toy
The Monster K9 Chew Ring is one of the highest rated, virtually indestructible dog toys available on the market. The ring has been tested with a number of aggressive chewing breeds including german shepherds, pit bulls, and mastiffs, so you can be sure of its quality.
The toy is made of industrial strength rubber that’s puncture resistant and FDA approved to be 100% non-toxic. Over time, this type of rubber is soft on the mouth of a dog, meaning no sharp corners or edges that can cut. The ring shape is also perfect for playing fetch or an intense tug of war session.
Most importantly, the Chew Ring is backed by a lifetime guarantee. If for some reason you don’t like it, or it becomes damaged by your dog at any time, you can request a replacement or refund. That’s tough to argue with.
- Made from industrial quality rubber that withstands the toughest chewers
- FDA approved 100% safe and non-toxic
- Tested on the most aggressive chewing dog breeds
- Lifetime replacement or refund guarantee
- Only available in one size, and might be too big for some dogs
- Many have noted that while the toy is strong, it can still wear down over time depending on the dog
3. Chuckit! Durable Ball Dog Toy
Editor’s Review: Best Durable Dog Ball
If you dog loves to play fetch with a tennis ball, but chews them up quickly, then consider the ChuckIt! dog ball. It’s made of soft outer shell with a stronger rubber core that can withstand intense chewing. It also floats and bounces for throw and fetch sessions at the pool.
These balls are cheaper than other strong rubber dog toys, so can be less of a worry if one is lost in the park. Overall, a great option for dogs who love to play fetch with tennis balls.
- Durable rubber balls that are easy on a dog’s mouth
- Made with a strong rubber core for extra durability
- Bouncy, buoyant, and durable
- Available in four sizes for different breeds
- Great alternative to tennis balls which can easily be torn up
- Make sure to buy the proper size for your dog. You don’t want a ball that’s too small for your dog’s mouth for safety reasons.
- Colors can fade if left outdoors for long periods of time
4. Goughnuts TuG MaXX Large Dog Toy
Editor’s Review: Best Kevlar-Like Toy for Large Dogs
Have a big dog that can chew through anything? The Goughnuts TuG Maxx is a heavy duty ring made especially for large dogs using carbon reinforced rubber. At 11 in x 6 in, this tug toy can withstand aggressive chewing, a tug of war, or some general destruction. When tested with large breeds, the TuG MaXX handled serious chew sessions without a dent or scratch.
- Made of a durable, strong rubber that’s tested for safety
- Owners of many different dog breeds have been impressed with the toy’s durability. Breeds included pit bulls, boxers, bulldogs, labs, and german shepherds.
- Perfect for tug of war
- Rubber is carbon reinforced and made in the USA
- Doesn’t have a scent or flavor
- Quality comes at a price; more expensive than other options on our list
5. KONG Extreme Dog Toy for Small Dogs
Editor’s Review: Best Indestructible Dog Toy for Small Dogs
This KONG Extreme Dog Toy is perfect for small dogs with strong bites. The rubber compound is ultra-durable to withstand aggressive chewing over time. It’s also constructed with a hole that you can fill in with treats for extra stimulation.
KONG is a top brand for durable dog products. In fact, many law enforcement agencies, K-9 drug enforcement teams, and AKC trainers use them for their training regimens.
- Made in the USA
- Toy can be stuffed with treats for training or fun
- Chewing can help with dental health; cleaning teeth and gums
- Bouncy, and can have unpredictable bounces for fun fetch sessions
- Doesn’t splinter or pose a risk for mouth injuries
- While this is made for small dogs, this KONG ball is available in four different sizes that can fit larger breeds
- Can have a strong rubber smell when new
Ultimately the best indestructible dog toy is the one your dog likes best. While kevlar isn’t a safe option for toys, extra strong rubber or nylon, like the materials featured in this list, can withstand aggressive chewing over time. By investing in a stronger toy that’s nearly indestructible, you’ll save considerable money over time.
A quick note: We’re reader supported! If you buy a product through our links we may earn a commission. The price you pay will always be the same as normal.
Frequently Asked Questions: Kevlar Dog Toys
Is Kevlar safe for dogs?
Aramid fibers and fabrics, also known as Kevlar, are incredibly durable and heat resistant materials that can withstand extreme conditions. By weight, Kevlar is actually stronger than carbon fiber. While Kevlar threads cannot break, they can unravel over time, and become life threatening for a dog when ingested. For this reason, Kevlar should not be used in dog toys for safety reasons. All of the indestructible dog toys we recommend here are “kevlar-like” and don’t contain actual kevlar or other harmful materials.
Question: Are there indestructible dog toys?
Yes and no; the answer depends on what you consider indestructible. Ultimately a dog with a strong bite can wear down almost any material over the course of time. However, the toys we’ve chosen are made specifically to withstand the highest amount of roughness to last the longest. No toy is perfect, but these will give you the biggest bang for your buck. You can say they are “virtually indestructible”.
Question: What dog toys are indestructible?
There are a number dog toys that are made specifically for dog breeds with strong chewing. These toys also come in a number of shapes and sizes, including bone style, ropes, toys, stuffable toys, and more. Look for those that say they have been tested on aggressive chewing breeds, and are made with strong materials.