Does your dog suffer from joint problems? Surprisingly, joint issues are common in dogs of all breeds and ages. Common causes of joint pain include fractures, congenital disorders, hormonal conditions, arthritis, cancer, Lyme disease, and injuries. Joint supplements can relieve joint pain, stiffness and stimulate joint cartilage. To help, we’ve researched hundreds of products and tens of thousands of verified reviews to find the 7 best joint supplements for your dog.
Our Picks for the Best Joint Supplements for Dogs
1. Doggie Dailies Advanced Joint Supplement
The Doggie Dailies joint supplement is a solid choice packed with a mix of active ingredients to help joint health and reduce inflammation, as well as support overall health with a mix of vitamins and minerals.
- 225 soft chew tablets included within the package
- Active ingredients include Glucosamine, MSM, Hyaluronic Acid, Chondroitin, CoQ10, Yucca Schidigera, and Omega 3 & 6.
- Comes in chicken flavor
- Includes full product guarantee
- Easy to eat soft chew tablets
- Solid mix of healthy ingredients that also helps with skin and coat.
- Improves mobility, eases discomfort, reduces inflammation
- Works for all breeds and sizes
- Made in the USA in an FDA registered factory
- Only available in one flavor
- Available in a 1 pound jar size only
2. Infinite All-Natural Joint Supplement
Infinite joint supplements feature natural, human-grade ingredients including glucosamine and turmeric that revitalize your dog’s joints and cartilage. They’re backed by a 100% money back guarantee, and are made in certified facilities in the USA.
- Comes with 90 chewable tablets
- Beef liver flavor
- Backed by lifetime, money-back guarantee
- Can be used for any dog breed, small or large
- Contains active, human-grade ingredients that help treat joint pain and decrease inflammation including Glucosamine, Turmeric, MSM, and Chondroitin Sulfate
- Includes only natural ingredients, with no additives or preservatives
- Provides relief from joint and arthritis pain
- Made in the USA in certified facility
- Only available in beef flavor
- The dosage size might be larger than you expect depending on your dog’s size
3. Zesty Paws Hip & Joint Supplement
The Zesty Paws Hip & Joint supplement is formulated to support overall dog joint health, including cartilage and supportive tissue. These natural chewables contain Glucosamine, MSM, Flaxseed, and Chondroitin Sulfate, in addition to a host of other functional ingredients.
- 90 Soft Chews
- Promotes flexibility, reduces inflammation, and leads to better hip and joint health
- Active Ingredients: Glucosmaine HCl, Chondroitin Sulfate, MSM, Flaxseed, Vitamins C and E.
- Also contains Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Hemp Extract
- Available in three flavors: bacon, bison, and duck
- No grain, corn, or soy, and contains no artificial flavorings
- Easy to chew and digest
- Many reviewers have said dogs enjoy eating them, some even thinking they are a treat
- Reviewers have said the supplement has worked well with dogs that have hip dysplasia
- Only available in one size
- Pricier than other brands
4. Cosequin Joint Supplement With MSM
Looking for the top veterinarian recommended joint supplement? Cosequin Maximum Strength is your best bet. Active ingredients in these chewable tablets include Glucosamine, Sodium Chondroitin, MSM. They’re highly-rated, and can help with issues such as mobility, stiffness, and decreased energy with your dog.
- Dog joint supplements in chicken flavor
- Top veterinarian recommended supplement for mobility, stiffness, and other activity issues
- Active ingredients: Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Sodium Chondroitin, MSM, Manganese
- Cosequin has been a respected brand in dog supplements for over 20 years
- Available in three sizes: 60, 132, and 250 chewable tablets
- Suitable for dogs of all sizes and breeds
- Made in the USA
- While effective and vet recommended, these tablets contain both natural and artificial flavorings
5. Nutramax Dasuquin Joint Health Supplement
Nutramax Dasuquin joint supplements are veterinary formulated to support healthy cartilage for pain relief and increased mobility. Active ingredients in these soft chews include Glucosamine, Sodium Chondroitin, and MSM.
- 84 soft chews per bag
- Suitable for both small/medium and large breed dogs
- Active ingredients include Glucosamine, MSM, Sodium Chondroitin, Avocado Powder, and Green Tea Extract.
- Money back guarantee
- Soft chew tablets are easy to eat
- Veterinarian formulated and approved
- Supports maximum joint health
- Relieves joint pain and inflammation
- Promotes increased mobility
- While easy to eat in soft chew form, these are flavorless, which can be difficult for picky dogs
- Pricier than other brands
- Only available in one size
6. NutraFitz Hip, Bone, and Joint Supplement
The NutraFitz joint supplement is a solid choice for those looking to help dogs that have pain from arthritis, hip dysplasia, or ACL issues. This all-natural supplement contains human-grade ingredients that provide maximum joint support and pain reduction.
- Active ingredients include Glucosamine Chondroitin (800mg), Organic Turmeric, MSM (800mg), and Hyaluronic Acid (10mg)
- Also contains Yucca, Black Pepper, Green Lipped Mussel
- Comes in chicken flavor
- Made in the USA
- 120 tablets per jar
- Suitable for all breed sizes
- Contains bone broth
- Helps with arthritis pain, ACL pain, and other joint issues
- Contains anti-inflammatory agents
- Joint and connective tissue support
- Helps improve mobility
- Made in the USA
- Only available in one size bottle
- Dosage size might be larger than expected, for example 800mg of some active ingredients
- Comes in tablets which may be difficult to eat for some dogs
7. VetriScience Labratories Glycoflex Plus
VetriScience Glycoflex Plus is a potent joint supplement with ingredients that reduce pain and inflammation, while also strengthening legs. This is the strongest supplement on our list, with 1000 mg of Glucosamine and MSM, and 400mg of Chondroitin Sulfate. This can work wonders for many dogs, but we recommend speaking with your veterinarian about adding higher doses to your dog’s diet.
- 120 bite-sized chews in duck, bacon, or peanut butter flavors
- Strongest joint supplement on our list
- Active ingredients include MSM, DMG, Glucosamine
- Also contains Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Manganese, Grape Seed Extract, and Selenium
- For use in dogs only
- Supports healthy joint system
- Clinically proven to increase hind leg strength in four weeks
- Veterinarian recommended and formulated
- Includes Perna Canaliculus – a green lipped mussel sourced from New Zealand known for its omega fatty acids
- Dosage sizes can be high depending on what you’re looking for; 1000mg of Glucosamine and 1000mg of MSM. We recommend quickly speaking with your vet if you’re looking to purchase this product.
A quick note: We’re reader supported! If you buy a product through our links we may earn a commission. The price you pay will always be the same as normal.
Dog Joint Supplements Buying Guide
Joint health is a vital part of your dog’s overall well being. However, just like humans, as dogs start to get older, they begin to show issues of joint pain and inflammation. Even basic supplements can benefit your dog’s activity and bring them back to their old self. Here are some common things to watch out for when evaluating your dog for joint pain, as well as how to choose the right joint supplement. As always, use this guide for informational purposes only, and consult your veterinarian on whether your dog should take joint supplements.
Common Signs of Joint Pain in Dogs
Your dog can’t speak to you, but they do have their own special ways of communicating. The following signs are commonly shown by dogs that experience joint pain:
- Stiffness in joints
- Unusual movements
- Challenging to stand
- Favoring one leg
- Unusually bad temper
- Visible swelling in the joints
- Doesn’t want to be pet
- Refusal to climb stairs or jump on furniture
Some dogs show signs they don’t feel well by having low energy and refusing to move from their current position. If you notice any of these issues with your dog, consider a joint pain issue and visit your vet for a proper diagnosis.
Causes of Joint Pain in Dogs
There are a variety of things that can cause joint pain in dogs, such as:
- Age related cruciate ligament issues: these can cause degeneration and wear on ligaments which leads to joint pain and arthritis. Cruciate ligament issues are the leading reason aging dogs experience joint pain, which makes it easy to treat with the right supplement.
- Lyme disease, obesity, cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, and hyperparathyroidism are common issues that cause joint pain.
- Metabolic disease can cause arthritis-like symptoms due to excess bleeding located in the joints.
- Developmental issues such as hip and elbow dysplasia, common in breeds such as Golden Retrievers, can also be inherited from the DNA line of past ancestors. Genetics causes joints not to grow correctly which result in discomfort and arthritic pain.
Benefits of Joint Supplements
Dogs that have reached a point in their life where they have limited mobility and suffer from pain every time they move or walk can benefit significantly from joint supplements.
Pet parents are often heartbroken as they watch their once vibrant and energetic dog slowly adapt to a limited mobility lifestyle. Any dog owner that has seen the excitement in their dog’s eyes diminish because of pain will admit they are willing to do anything to get the spring back in their dog’s life. Supplements that are specifically made treat joint pain can rapidly improve their quality of life.
Healthy Skin and Coat
In addition to active ingredients to relieve joint paint, many supplements also contain vitamins and minerals that support a healthy skin and coat. Benefits range from relieving dry itchy skin, through increasing the shine of a dog’s coat.
Strengthened Immune System
The immune system is responsible for protecting your dog from illness, fighting off disease, and helping to prevent chronic health issues. Supplements provide the vitamins and nutrients needed to maintain a healthy immune system in dogs of any age and during any stage of life.
Ingredients to Look for in Joint Supplements for Dogs
The ingredients listed below help lubricate joints, treat cartilage and helps make your dog have increased comfortable mobility.
- Hyaluronic acid
- Yucca schidigera
- Co-enzyme Q10
- Salmon oil
- Cod fish oil
- Sodium Hyaluronate
- Claw root extract
An example of a nutritional label – results will vary depending on the supplement you choose.
Beware of these ingredients:
The ingredients show below are known to be fillers in supplements and not provide nutrition or vitamins that would help the issue. Avoid giving your dog supplements that include the following:
- Artificial flavors
- Artificial colors
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know my dog has joint pain?
If you notice your dog lacks energy, makes unusual noises, lacks movement they once had, they may be suffering from joint pain. A visit to your veterinarian can confirm the diagnosis. Beware that some dogs are excellent at hiding their pain so you need to pay close attention to your dog’s behavior regularly, especially as they get older.
Will joint supplements help my dog?
Yes. All-natural joint supplements provide dogs with the nutrients and vitamins needed to relieve joint pain, boost energy levels, and lubricate joints. If you are giving your dog supplements and don’t see results within one month, visit your vet to ensure the issue isn’t due to an underlying disease that can mimic the same symptoms as arthritis or joint pain.
Should I check with a veterinarian to make sure my dog needs supplements?
Yes. If you aren’t absolutely sure your dog is having joint issues (or if supplements will help) speak to a veterinarian. Generally, vets recommend supplements for dogs, especially as they enter into their golden years.
Are joint supplements safe?
Yes they are. Joint supplements that are made with all-natural ingredients are generally safe for most dogs. However, if your dog is taking medication to treat a different health issue, it’s best to ask your vet whether mixing supplements is safe.
What if my dog has an allergic reaction to the supplement?
It’s rare, but some dogs do have allergies to ingredients in supplements. If your dog shows signs of an allergic reaction contact an animal hospital immediately for assistance. Using a dog food made for allergies is another option.
Who regulates dog supplements?
The FDA is responsible for overseeing animal supplements. Many of the natural supplements on our list are veterinarian recommended and made with organic all-natural ingredients.
Are there supplements in dog food?
Most commercial dog food packages show the ingredients and sometimes mention there are supplements included for optimal health. However, elderly dogs and others that have inherited joint issues, such as elbow and hip dysplasia, may need a larger quantity than what is offered in standard dog food brands. Researching senior dog foods may help to provide extra supplements in daily eating.
What age should I give my dog joint supplements?
Generally, healthy dogs in their younger years don’t require joint supplements. However, all dogs are different, so discussing the right life stage for joint supplements with a veterinarian or holistic veterinarian is recommended. Administering joint supplements to your dog at the right time in their life will help boost their immune system and relieve joint and arthritis pain.
Do I need different supplements for my two dogs?
Possibly. As a pet parent to more than one dog, you’ll need to consider each dog’s individual needs. Some dogs might require earlier access to supplements compared with others.
Choosing a Supplement
After seeing many of the all-natural supplements on our list, you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed about which ones to try. We have chosen the best of the best so you can feel confident you are choosing an excellent supplement. Here are a few tips to help you find the right one for your dog.
Read the labels: You can find out a lot about a supplement by simply reading the label on the bottle, bag, or box. You might be looking for a specific ingredient such as turmeric or hemp that will specifically help your dog’s joint problems. We tried our best to make it easier for you by listing the active ingredients in each supplement. However, you can read the entire ingredient list on the package.
Read the reviews: We’ve chosen only products that are highly reviewed by verified purchasers. However, it’s best to take your own browse through online reviews, particularly for very specific cases that may apply to your dog.
Make sure your dog actually has joint issues: A problem among some pet parents is that they diagnose their dog without getting the opinion of a veterinarian. Always confirm with a professional that your dog really is experiencing joint issues.
Purchase trustworthy brands: The supplements on our list are trustworthy brands that have proven to be some of the best in the industry. Many of the brands have also won awards for their effectiveness and potent natural ingredients.
Get to the know the product: Hemp, turmeric, glucosamine, and other ingredients might be new to you. Take some time to understand each ingredient and what its effect will be on your dog.
Overall, you know your dog best and can sense what changes need to be made in their diet. Consulting with a veterinarian or holistic pet doctor is recommended before adding supplements to your dog’s diet and health regimen, as it’s vital to make sure your dog’s symptoms aren’t due to an underlying disease or illness. Sometimes not knowing the real reason your dog is showing symptoms can become hazardous and delay treatment for the actual cause of the symptoms.
If you want to see your dog come back to life and have the energy they used to have, it’s time to introduce a joint supplement into their life. Choose wisely from the list above and remember you are in control of your dog’s joint health. Get started today!