So you’re in the market for a new dog bed — again. If you’ve purchased countless beds for your pup, only to have them destroyed a few days later, it’s time to purchase an indestructible dog bed that will last you more than just a few months.
But with so many available, you may be wondering which is the right one to invest in. To help, we researched every option on the market to find the 7 best indestructible beds. Most of our recommendations come with a “full chew guarantee”, meaning that if your dog does somehow find a way to destroy it, you’re covered. Here’s our list:
Our Picks for the Best Indestructible Dog Bed
1. K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle Dog Bed
The K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle Bed is a top choice for an indestructible dog bed. It features a durable ballistic nylon cover that’s waterproof, scratch resistant, and dig proof. The bed also comes with a 120 day “Chew Proof Promise”, where the company will replace the bed if your dog chews through the cover.
- Cover made of durable ripstop ballistic nylon
- Waterproof, chew resistant, and dig proof
- Contains orthopedic foam for comfort
- Available in sizes from Small-XXL
- 120 day “Chew Proof Promise”, with replacement if your dog chews through it
- Orthopedic foam maintains shape and won’t flatten over time
- No zippers or seams, making it difficult to chew
- Machine washable cover
- Nearly indestructible; you’re trading comfort for a little less durability. If your dog tears beds to shreds, take a look at other options below.
- Pricier than other dog beds
2. Coolaroo Classic Elevated Dog Bed
The Coolaroo Elevated Dog Bed is a great affordable option that’s chew resistant, sturdy, and extra breathable. The bed is made of durable HDPE fabric, surrounded by a powder-coated steel frame.
- Elevated and durable dog bed
- Made of HDPE fabric that’s breathable, stain resistant, and mold resistant
- Frame made of powder-coated steel
- Lightweight, and can be easily used both indoors and outdoors
- Best budget pick, with prices ranging $18-$30 depending on size and color
- Available in 3 sizes (small, medium, large), and 6 different color combinations
- Airy mesh design is ideal for hot summer weather
- Covers pets up to 100 lbs
- Durable, but not a truly indestructible option
- No lifetime warranty
3. K9 Ballistics Indestructible Elevated Dog Bed
Want an elevated style bed that’s chew proof? Take a look at this K9 Ballistics option. It’s made of ballistic nylon, and a fully aluminum frame meant to withstand the strongest of chewers. The dimensions of this bed also perfectly fit standard sized crates.
- Indestructible elevated dog bed made with ballistic ripstop nylon
- Full aluminum frame
- Fits into all standard sized dog crates
- Available for dogs of all sizes (Small to Giant)
- 120 day “Chew Proof Warranty”, with replacement free of charge if chewed
- Fabric is water resistant and dirt resistant
- Comes in four different colors – black, blue, sno-camo, tan
- Arrives pre-assembled
- Pricier than other options on our list
4. Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
The Frisco Dog Bed is another affordable elevated option. Similar to the Coolaroo, this cot style bed features a durable, PVC coated fabric attached to a solid steel frame. It’s chew resistant and breathable, perfect for indoor or outdoor use.
- Durable dog bed made of PVC coated material
- Frame is constructed with powder-coated steel
- Comes in Small (up to 40 lbs), Medium (65 lbs), and Large sizes (85 lbs)
- Breathable fabric is perfect for hot or rainy days
- Affordable at around $24
- Available in four colors – brown, terra cotta, green, and grey
- Chew resistant, but not fully chew proof
- Not available in XL size
5. Orvis ToughChew® Comfortfill-Eco Dog Bed
Orvis ToughChew Eco is definitely the most stylish of our indestructible bed options, with multiple classic patterns characteristic of the Orvis brand. But don’t let its style fool you, these beds are made specifically for heavy chewers. They come with the best guarantee of any bed we looked at, backed by a no questions asked 100% refund (not just replacement) if your dog chews through it.
- Indestructible soft dog bed
- Made of full 840D ripstop nylon with a bonded microvelvet layer for softness
- This particular bed is made for medium sized dogs (40-60 lbs), and is also available for small dogs (up to 40 lbs), and large dogs (60-90 lbs)
- Orvis is a trusted brand for outdoor goods
- All tough construction; no cords for pulling, and a zipper made of solid brass
- Polyester fill is chambered, meaning that it won’t clump or flatten over time
- Comes in three stylish patterns
- Entire bed is machine washable
- Fits well in the house, car, or crate
- Pricier than other indestructible beds
6. K9 Ballistics Tough Dog Crate Pad
Made of the same ballistic ripstop nylon as the K9 Ballistics orthopedic bed, the Tough Dog Crate Pad is the perfect indestructible bed for your dog’s crate. It also features K9’s “Chew Proof Promise” with a full replacement if your dog chews through it in the first 120 days.
- Chew proof dog bed made of ballistic ripstop nylon
- Fits all standard crate sizes
- 1.5″ thick with soft polyfill stuffing
- Available in sizes from Small-XXL
- 120 day “Chew Proof Promise”, with replacement if your dog chews through it
- Material is water resistant,
- Machine washable
- No zippers or velcro for extra chew deterrence
- Rated as chew resistant, not fully chew proof
7. Niiyoh Indestructible Mega Mat
If you’re looking for a legitimately indestructible dog bed, the Niiyoh Mega Mat is a best bet. The bed is made of reinforced aluminum on the sides and 1680D ballistic nylon on the mat (material used for police belts and motorcycle jackets). There’s also a lifetime warranty with a free replacement at any point if it becomes damaged.
- Indestructible dog bed made with 1680D ballistic nylon and aluminum frame
- Fully water resistant, anti-dust, and anti-mold fabric
- Available in Large (40″x28″) and X-Large sizes (47″x28″)
- Comes with a lifetime warranty, with full replacement if damaged or chewed
- Sturdy frame design is chew proof
- Optional heating pad for winter (sold separately)
- Adjustable bed tension for extra comfort
- Only available for large and extra large dogs
A quick note: We’re reader supported! If you buy a product through our links we may earn a commission. The price you pay will always be the same as normal.
Buying Guide for Indestructible Dog Beds
Finding the right chew proof dog bed can help curb your dog’s destructive habits, while also saving you money on replacements in the long run. Here’s a comprehensive guide to help you navigate the buying process.
Why Do Dogs Destroy Their Beds?
If you find yourself replacing your dog’s bed far too often, it’s important to figure out why they’re destroying their bed. Here are some common reasons your dog might be showing destructive behaviors.
Lack of Stimulation
When a dog is bored or has too much pent up energy, they’ll find a way to release that buildup. Ensuring your dog is receiving the optimal amount of physical and mental exercise helps reduce this boredom, leading to less destructive behavior.
If you aren’t feeding your dog on a regular schedule, or they aren’t being fed enough, you might find yourself with a dog that tries to eat everything. Talk to your veterinarian to make sure your dog is getting the adequate amount of food for their size.
Feeling Stressed or Anxious
It’s common for anxious dogs to turn to chewing as a way to calm their nerves. If you think your dog’s chewing habits are being caused by stress, it’s important to figure out the underlying cause to mitigate any triggers.
In the first few months of a puppy’s life, they’ll go through a teething phase. Chewing during this period helps relieve pressure they feel in their gums. To help, introduce chew toys or frozen treats to distract them away from their beds.
Lack of Training
Don’t worry if your dog isn’t fully trained. Working on general commands can improve your relationship and enhance your dog’s confidence, resulting in less destructive behavior.
Benefits of an Indestructible Dog Bed
Safety: When ripping up material, your dog might take the opportunity to eat a bed’s inside stuffing, chew on any buttons or zippers, or bite into hard pieces of plastic. An indestructible bed ensures your dog won’t ingest these materials — giving you peace of mind when away from home.
Less Mess: No more coming home to fluff tossed around your living room. Indestructible dog beds remain intact even with the most aggressive chewing and digging.
Cheaper in the Long Run: The materials used to make indestructible dog beds are pricier than other fabrics. However, you should see your purchase as an investment. Rather than having to buy a new bed every few weeks because your dog destroys it, a chew proof bed should last many months if not years.
What to Look for When Buying a Bed
While there are plenty of indestructible dog beds to choose from, it’s important you find one that checks off all these boxes:
The most important factor to consider is the durability of the dog bed. It needs to be able to withstand normal wear and tear, as well as the excess force your dog decides to throw at it. Whether your dog is a scratcher or chewer, you’ll need to find a dog bed made of durable materials that can stand up to your dog’s destruction.
Quality of Construction
If you want your dog’s bed to last over the next few months (and years!), it’s important to purchase a sturdy bed made of high-quality fabric and materials. Don’t opt for a cheaper dog bed with slightly reduced quality. If it can’t withstand your dog’s wear and tear, you’re going to find yourself purchasing another bed a few weeks from now.
Depending on the style of dog bed, which we’ll get into more below, you’ll want to choose one made of a thick material. Dogs that like to chew or tear up their beds need one with a durable, protective layer that’s difficult to penetrate (and ruin!).
Minimal Seams and Zippers
Look for a bed with fewer seams or edges. Anytime there’s a seam, edge, zipper, button, or other decorative element, it gives your pooch something to focus on and destroy.
Ease of Cleaning
To increase the lifespan of your dog’s bed, look for one that’s waterproof and can be easily cleaned. Certain fabrics and materials are better able to withstand dust, dirt, and staining as well.
At the end of the day, your dog’s comfort is of the utmost importance. Make sure to buy a dog bed with the perfect balance of comfort and durability, ensuring your pooch has a wonderful place to relax.
Chew Proof Guarantee
Any reputable dog bed that’s advertised as “indestructible” will come with some form of warranty. Make sure you buy a bed that guarantees its integrity and offers customer support should the bed get torn. Most warranties will cover a free replacement within a certain period (or even a full refund).
Types of Indestructible Dog Beds
Whether you’re looking for a bed that can hold up to chewers or diggers, there are a variety of dog bed styles at your disposal. Not every option will be right for you, so it’s important to understand your dog’s destructive behaviors and the type of bed that would stop them.
Metal Mat Beds
If your dog has no problem destroying any bed you put in front of them, a metal mat is a great option. This style is usually made of a heavy-duty nylon mat surrounded by reinforced metal. Metal mats have no easy seams to exploit, and are made in dimensions that are difficult for a dog to chew on.
Cot-Style Dog Beds
Cot-style dog beds are raised above the ground on metal or sturdy PVC pipes. Because they aren’t made of cloth or soft fabric, they’re able to withstand a lot more wear and tear than most dog beds. They’re also the most breathable option, ideal for hot summer days or for dogs that easily overheat.
Crate or Kennel Beds
Crate beds (kennel beds) are designed to easily fit inside a standard crate. They’re thinner than other options, but provide an important barrier between the floor and slats of a crate. When choosing this style, look for a machine washable or waterproof option, as dogs sometimes urinate inside their kennels. You should also find one that attaches to the bottom of a crate to prevent shifting or bunching in the corners.
If you have an older dog that suffers from joint pain, an orthopedic dog bed is your best option. Beds labeled as orthopedic are made with higher quality filling, usually memory foam or other padding material, and are designed to support your dog’s body. This style is also helpful for senior dogs.
Bolstered Dog Beds
Bolstered beds are a comfortable style, and offer your pooch edges or lips that they can use as a pillow. These beds are made from a variety of materials, with most having a removable cover for easy cleaning — increasing its lifespan!
Indestructible and Chew Proof Fabrics
There are a handful of heavy duty, durable materials to look for when buying an indestructible bed. Here are a few common materials you’ll see in most options.
The term ballistic nylon was originally a military phrase that referred to the fabric’s intended use — to protect soldiers from ballistic impact. This basket weaved fabric is incredibly tough, and can withstand aggressive chewing. Ballistic nylon is difficult to dye, so it’s typically found in black or other dark colors.
Ripstop fabric, usually made of either nylon or polyester, is woven with extra reinforcement yarns to make them more tear-proof than other fabrics. Ballistic nylon can also be reinforced with ripstop threads, making it even tougher.
Though not fully indestructible, heavy denims are tough enough to withstand digging behavior and basic chewing. Denim comes in many different shades, making it an attractive option no matter what your décor is, and is typically machine washable.
Thick Canvas or Dropcloth
Thick canvas fabrics, the type used to make painter’s dropcloths, are both durable and comfortable for most dogs. This material can be used to create the bed itself or to make a washable cover. Like denim, this fabric is strong enough against moderate chewers, but not for power chewers.
Any of these fabrics can have added treatments that make them antimicrobial, water-resistant, or stain proof.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there indestructible dog beds?
Yes! There are many dog beds rated as indestructible. Most are constructed with durable fabrics such as ballistic nylon, reinforced steel, or aluminum.
Why do dogs chew their beds?
There are a number of reasons why dogs chew on their beds, including boredom, hunger, stress and anxiety, or lack of obedience training. It’s best to observe your dog carefully to figure out the underlying reason.
What is the best material for a dog bed?
There’s no one best material for a dog bed, but some of the strongest fabrics include ballistic nylon, ripstop fabrics, and reinforced metals.
Are dog beds good for dogs?
Yes! Dog beds provide protection from both cold and hot surfaces, as well as joint and muscle support. Some dogs actually require a dog bed, such as those with mobility problems and certain giant breeds prone to orthopedic issues.
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripstop#Ripstop_nylon and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_nylon
More Pet Product Reviews: